Snowball Cookies are tender, buttery cookies with a light nutty flavor all covered in powdered sugar! Also called “Mexican Wedding Cakes,” these cookies are delicious and a wonderful holiday classic. One of my most requested Christmas cookie recipes!
There are so many things to love about these cookies! For starters, they are quick and easy to make. The cookie dough comes together with only 6 ingredients. I do like to refrigerate them for about an hour before baking them, but you don’t have to. I personally think the cookies stay a little more tender on the inside if they’ve been refrigerated first.
Another reason to love them is that they are literally covered in sugar. Yes! Two layers of it, in fact. That outside layer of powdered sugar just melts right in your mouth. Completely addicting! And after you get past the outside, the inside is soft, buttery and also melts in your mouth. So darn good!
What Are Snowball Cookies?
Snowball Cookies are a simple cookie, similar to shortbread, known for the nuts included in the cookie and the powdered sugar used to decorate them. They are also often referred to as Russian Tea Cakes and Mexican Wedding Cakes.
These cookies last very well for about a week when stored in an air tight container. They could also be made ahead and frozen, but you’ll want to freeze them prior to adding the powdered sugar, which would just dissolve when they thaw. Instead, thaw the cookies in the fridge when you’re ready for them and then dip them in the powdered sugar.
These Snowball Cookies are wonderful, sugary little bites of heaven! They are nice and small, so they are easy to snack on with a cup of coffee or eggnog (or tea!) and just enjoy the holidays. I hope you love them!
- 1 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and 1/2 a cup (58g) of powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Add the flour and salt and mix on low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Scoop tablespoon sized balls of dough and shape into a ball. Refrigerate for about 1 hour, then place on the prepared cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the bottoms are just lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes, until you can handle them.
- Add the remaining 1 cup (115g) of powdered sugar to a small bowl and roll each cookie in it until well coated. The sugar will melt a little bit. Allow the cookies to cool completely, then re-roll in powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.