Sausage and Sauerkraut One Skillet with Potatoes
This Sausage and Sauerkraut Skillet is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. It’s an easy dinner that the whole family can enjoy!
Sausage and Sauerkraut is my go-to when I am running behind or don’t have enough time to prep something else. Yet, it is delicious, satisfying, and loaded with whole foods. Now, if you are not a fan of sauerkraut, I still recommend you give this sauerkraut dish a try! It may just change your mind about this fermented food.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
Easy – This simple recipe is an easy way to throw together a delicious, hearty meal for your family. Other than a little bit of chopping, no prep is needed! Plus, it is made up of simple ingredients and can all be prepped in the same skillet!
Quick – Comes together in about 30 minutes. It’s great for nights that I don’t feel like spending a ton of time in the kitchen or when dinner time sneaks up on us!
Delicious – I love the flavors in this dish. Between the classic flavors in the sausage to the sweetness of the apples and sour bite of the sauerkraut, this dish packs a punch – in a good way!
Tips to make this easy weeknight meal
- This recipe serves 4. However, it is super easy to scale! I’ll usually double or triple it for my family. If I triple it, I’ll have leftovers the next day. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Cut your potatoes into small chunks so they will cook faster and more evenly in the skillet.
- I recommend using smoked sausage (Polish sausage or kielbasa sausage works!) or bratwursts for this recipe. The bratwursts I used were uncooked, so I had to cook them in my skillet before the rest of the ingredients. If your sausages are already fully cooked, you can skip that step.
Sausage and Sauerkraut Skillet Recipe with Potatoes
- 1 lb bratwurst or smoked sausage, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tbl lard or coconut oil
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 16 oz sauerkraut (homemade or store bought)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet. Cook the potatoes in the oil until they are browned and somewhat tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the apples and onions and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the sauerkraut and sausage and turn the skillet to low heat. Simmer with a lid on for about 10 minutes until the sauerkraut is tender and the flavors are melded together.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Enjoy!